Morse-Code   |     home
Edrum Housing   |   E-Drum Digital PCB   |   Switch & Analog Mux PCB   |   Analog 1 PCB   |   Analog 2 PCB   |   Edrum PSU   |   Edrum Assembly   |   Drum Head / Triggers   |   Edrum Potentiometer Pedal   |   Edrum Optical Hi-Hat Pedal   |   DIY Edrum Drum Rack   |   Drum Brackets and Cymbal Mounts   |   DIY Edrum Cymbals
DIY Edrum Drum Rack

Since I am doing a DIY drum setup, I figured I might as well build the rack my self.... I had some aluminum tubing that was salvaged from an old tent setup, (I knew this rods would come in handy....) so I decided to use those as the rack frame for the drums...

I first thought I would use some wood to fabricate the frame brackets.... I took some 2"x2" wood stock, and drilled a 3/4" hole down through it, and another hole was bored up to the through hole....
I then fabricated some metal retaining brackets to hold the wood blocks secure onto the aluminum tubing....

Everything was looking good.... Until I got to thinking, that once the drums and everything are mounted onto the rack, that the wood blocks would twist and split.... so I scrapped the wood block idea....
I ended up fabricating these brackets with the CNC plasma Cam.... these were made from 16 gauge galvanized sheet steel... (I would have still made these by hand if I did not have access to the Plasma Cam, they just wouldn't have looked as esthetically pleasing as these ones...lol)
because the width is less than the length, I could not fit it in the brake to bend both sides of the bracket, so I bolted the brackets down onto a piece of 1" square tubing and hammered them into shape...

I had some aluminum tubing that was 1/8" thick, and 1" diameter on the outside with a 3/4" diameter inside (which fits right onto the frame tubing which is 3/4" diameter)


I cut some 1" lengths off of it and cut those in half.... I also shaved off some of the sides of the "U" shaped pieces to fit snuggly into the brackets.... I also milled a 1/4" diameter, 1/16" deep holes on top of each piece for the bolt to rest in when tightened down (so the bolts won't slip off the sides of the rounded tube.)...
Now that I have all the frame brackets done, onto putting it together!
I welded some 1/4-20 threaded inserts onto the brackets themselves for the knobs to thread into... as you can see the smaller pieces of aluminum lock right onto the tubes to prevent them from turning....

with a simple twist of the knob, I can raise or lower any of the horizontal tubes on the rack, or move any of the vertical tubes left or right onto the horizontal ones....
I can put any of the side bars at any angle off of the back bar, which makes it easy to adjust the width of the rack to suit any size drummer.... these brackets would also work with a "rounded" shape rack.... which I might do to this one later on....
Not too shabby if I may say so.... The rack is quite sturdy for what it is made out of... and it should do just fine for my needs....

I had recycled some of the original brackets I had made for the wood blocks to use as the drum head mounts, I ended up welding another piece onto them to hold the drum L rods... (you can see them in the pic, attached to the horizontal bars...)

Now I have the rack completed.... onto fabricating the rest of the L rods for the drum heads and also to make some adjustable cymbal mounts....




Back to Edrum Main Page

Back To Projects Page