Morse-Code   |     home
Edrum Housing   |   E-Drum Digital PCB   |   Switch & Analog Mux PCB   |   Analog 1 PCB   |   Analog 2 PCB   |   Edrum PSU   |   Edrum Assembly   |   Drum Head / Triggers   |   Edrum Potentiometer Pedal   |   Edrum Optical Hi-Hat Pedal   |   DIY Edrum Drum Rack   |   Drum Brackets and Cymbal Mounts   |   DIY Edrum Cymbals
Drum Head / Triggers
The drums were made from parts salvaged from a cheap "First Act" drum set that my youngest had, but since they were cheap they didn't last long, so I salvaged all the hardware from the heads including the rings for the heads themselves....

The drum kit consisted of 1 snare, 1 tom, a kick drum and a symbal, I needed enough parts for 4 drum heads and 1 kick drum.
So I stripped everything off of the shells and cut them on my table saw down to 2 1/4" inches deep each, so now I have 4 8" drum rings and enough parts for all the drum heads...



I did the same thing for the kick drum, except it is 3 1/2" inches deep.



Now I need to fabricate some cross braces for the sensor mounts and to keep the rings rigid..... I had some 6" x 1/2" lumber laying around, so I traced the rings onto the piece of lumber and cut the shapes out with a jigsaw....



The braces were then glued and brad nailed into place, then I let the glue dry overnight....


Once the glue was dry, I went ahead and drilled out some holes for the sensors to be mounted over and also some counter sunk holes for the jacks.... I also started to modify the salvaged hardware to fit the modified drum tubes...
I took each head mount and cut them in half with a hack saw, this will give me enough parts for all 4 heads...




Now that the hardware is done being modified, the shells were painted a flat black,  and the hardware mounted. I still need to fabricate some mounting hardware to mount the drum heads to the stand, but thats a whole other project with the stand!


The sensors I used for the drum heads were salvaged from some X-10 alarm system siren modules I had, these modules got burned out when my dad's generator shorted out in some water (There was a flood) and fed 220 VAC through out his house, burned up most of his 110 appliances.... The piezos were fine, so I saved those for just a time like this.


I fabricated some cones out of some sanding block foam core material, I mounted each piezo sensor right above the hole that was drilled in the center of the drum head brace with some double sided tape. The foam cone was cut down to about 1/8" above the drum rim, and it was glued onto the piezo sensor with hot glue...

Each Tom (1,2 and 3) will only have 1 sensor, the snare head will have 2, 1 for the head, and 1 for the rim, for rim "shots".


I had some gray cones made also, but I like the red foam cones better since they seem to be more dense and it looks "cooler" I think... I will save the gray ones for use later, maybe on another trigger module!



For the heads of the drums, I used some fiberglass screen mesh. I cut some square pieces and overlapped 2 of them, with one diagonal to the other...


I trimmed off some of the excess, then clipped them in place temporarily with some clip binders, made it easier to sew the screen onto the rings.


I the sewed the screens onto the rings with some black nylon upholstery thread.... just did a 1/4" running stitch, nothing fancy... once sewed on, I trimmed of any excess as close to the stitch as possible...


Test fit looks good, although the rim is up high since the head is not tightened down yet...


Once 1 was done, I had to do 3 more + the large 16" one for the Kick drum.... That was a lot of sewing!!!...
I would have used hot glue to keep the mesh in place over the hoops, but the glue would have gotten in the way of slipping them over the drum shells.


I did the same process for all the drum heads including the 16" kick drum....

01/24/2010
So far so good, all modules are working as expected..... I am still playing around with differrent materials to use for cymbals.... I need something as "quiet" as the mesh head drums, I have been trying out differrent types of rubber and foam on differrent substrates such as ABS, sheet metal, wood, etc.... just have not found a good medium yet.... But all drums are working great and so is the controller so far... I still need to work on my stand and other accessories for the unit....


Work in progress, next Cymbals and drum rack. More to come soon.......




Back to Edrum Main Page

Back To Projects Page