Morse-Code   |     home
Edrum Housing   |   E-Drum Digital PCB   |   Switch & Analog Mux PCB   |   Analog 1 PCB   |   Analog 2 PCB   |   Edrum PSU   |   Edrum Assembly   |   Drum Head / Triggers   |   Edrum Potentiometer Pedal   |   Edrum Optical Hi-Hat Pedal   |   DIY Edrum Drum Rack   |   Drum Brackets and Cymbal Mounts   |   DIY Edrum Cymbals
Edrum Assembly

01/01/2010
Each one of the analog inputs are connected to a 100K potentiometer for gain adjustment (Sensitivity adjustment). So each one of the input jacks in the back of the panel has to be wired to the corresponding Potentiometer in the front of the panel.... The potentiometers I used were some low cost ones I ordered from Digikey, although I should have spent a little more money and got the ones that can be mounted on a panel, instead I got some PCB mount potentiometers instead, which makes it a pain to mount to the panel!!!.... So I decided to mount all the pots onto a piece of lexan with some hot glue and I will attach the lexan to the housing later with screws....




I daisy chained the ground lead to all the pots and wired the appropriate input and output to the corresponding 1/4" phono jack and to the Analog interface PCB's.



Test fit of the pot assembly looks very good if I should say so.....



So far so good..... now for some more wiring!!!

01/06/2010
I finally have everything wired up, all the jacks are wired to the pots which in turn are connected to the appropriate inputs on the corresponding Analog boards.



I also have the MIDI, the Serial (RS232) connector and the power switch connected and mounted to the housing... The power jack is not yet mounted, at this point I have not found one suitable for my needs, so I have one temporarily connected and just hanging behind the power switch. (Most of these parts and components were salvaged from somewhere else, so I am waiting to "salvage" a suitable power jack with mounting tabs.)


View of the power switch, RS232 port and the MIDI port from the backside of the housing...
the power connector (jack) will be mounted in between the switch and MIDI port, I will cut the hole for it once I find a suitable one to use....



Front view of the completed project so far....


Back view of the project so far....


01/10/2010
One thing for sure, if I had to do another one of these projects, I would not put the mounting holes for the LCD and keypad right on the front of the housing. I do not like the way it looks, and once I place the clear plexiglass on top, everyone will see the holes or screw heads used to mount the component boards, I was not planning on painting the case since it was made out of galvanized steel, so it will not corrode or rust, but you can see the scratches from cleaning it up, (ugly!!). I really wanted to make another housing, but I have already spent enough time on the esthetics of the case, didn't want to waste anymore time making another housing. So I decided to just make another insert to go in between the face plate and the housing. I made it out of 22 gauge stainless steel and cut it out with the CNC plasma cutter at the shop....



Now it looks much better in my opinion....

With the plexiglass overlay, I think it looks pretty sweet for a DIY project!!


01/12/2010
I actually have found a suitable jack for the power connector, I already had it this whole time, I just didn't see it at first in my pile of "parts" at the shop, lol. So I have that mounted and finished.

01/15/2010
The original LCD display I used did not have any backlighting to it. So I decided to modify it myself and add some LED's to backlight it with....

I had 2 of these PCB's with 4 blue LEDs on them, I think I salvaged them from an office phone display I had a while ago....
I ended up adding some resistors right to the PCB's to limit the LED's current.... I cut some of my copper "tape" into some .063" strips and soldered one end to the LED's pad on 1 side and wrapped it around the other side to attach the resistors...
I also went ahead and added a strip for the V+ connection for all the LED's....

I salvaged some backlight diffusing material from an old LCD screen I had laying around, and cut it to fit the backside of the LCD, I also had to take apart the LCD to remove a strip of metallic plastic from the LCD to let the light shine through....
I attached the LED pcbs on each side of the display with the LED's facing the display...
You can see the backlight diffusing material I used in the pic below...

I ended up covering the LED's with some reflective foil to reflect most of the light towards the LCD and to prevent any of the light from bleeding out through the other holes.... Below is a pic before I covered the LEDs with foil....
For some reason the camera I am using does not like to take pictures of bright LED's !!! So this is the best I can get it with the backlight on.... Looks much better in person...


01/16/2010
The unit is also supposed to have 2 other LED's, 1 for the power indicator and one for the MIDI out indicator...
I decided to incorporate the 2 with one dual color LED (RED, BLUE). The blue will be used to indicate power to the unit and the red will indicate when MIDI is transmitted.... The cool thing about it is the Power LED will blink purple whenever a MIDI note is sent out.... The LED I used was small, (it is on the dime.... covering the ear!!) I soldered the leads right to the LED and shrink wrapped it to direct the light more towards the tip.... I then hot glued a piece of hot glue stick to it to use as a diffuser....


Once mounted in place, it looks pretty good IMO.





Back to Edrum Main Page

Back To Projects Page