Morse-Code   |     home
Edrum Housing   |   E-Drum Digital PCB   |   Switch & Analog Mux PCB   |   Analog 1 PCB   |   Analog 2 PCB   |   Edrum PSU   |   Edrum Assembly   |   Drum Head / Triggers   |   Edrum Potentiometer Pedal   |   Edrum Optical Hi-Hat Pedal   |   DIY Edrum Drum Rack   |   Drum Brackets and Cymbal Mounts   |   DIY Edrum Cymbals
Edrum Housing

The Housing itself is a simple one I made with the CNC Plasma cutter at the shop. I used some 18 gauge galvanized sheet steel to fabricate the housing out of.... The housing is still a work in progress, I still need to tidy up a few things on it before it is completed...
12/18/2009
Here is the front of the housing, with display, button and potentiometer holes. I was going to mount the power switch on the front also, but I decided to move it to the back instead, so that way I  can make the housing only 15" wide instead of 16" or 17". 15" seemed a little wide enough! The whole case measures 15" wide by 1 1/2" tall, by 8" deep.

And here is the back side of it with all the holes for the 1/4" jacks, the power switch, and power jack.


I have not quite decided if I want to put a coat of paint on it or what, possibly some flat black??? I hate painting stuff, unless I use automotive paints with some clear coat for durability, I have not made the top cover yet, still waiting to find some nice piece of stainless to use.....
I decided that instead of some paint on or rub on decals for the front, that I would etch it out of 1/4" plexiglass and use that as a face plate, I also wanted to include some marks for the potentiometers as indicators for the gain settings, I had layed it all out in a cad program and exported the mirror image to a dxf to import into my mill.... I wanted to put 100 notches for each dial to give it a 1% dial accuracy, but that would have been tedious and also I didn't have a small enough milling bit to do such a fine line especially since I had to layout 100 lines in a 1/2" radius, so I just went with 50 it was still a pretty tight fit!
01/08/2010
I started out with a chunk of 1/4 " Plexiglass (Lexan actually) and milled it from the backside (hence the mirror image export of the panel's CAD drawing.)


This is what the front panels looks like once I had milled the backside of it.....





I ended up drilling out each hole by hand (why? I like to make myself work, I guess!) My mill could have drilled out all the holes, but I have steps in the holes for the potentiometer knobs and My machine would have had to mill each one and it would have taken a longer time since it would have to remove material by layers...

Now I have to work on how to mount it to the front of the housing and possibly add backlight to light up each "dial"...



Test fit of the face plate to the housing looks good so far....



The only thing I have left to do on the housing is to finish the top cover, (which would be out of stainless steel, just don't have any on hand right now...) and add some rubber feet to it to reduce slippage and to prevent the unit from scratching anything I set it on...


Back to Edrum Main Page

Back To Projects Page